Tuesday, October 13, 2009

#286












#286, Portland, OR


I spot an old hand-painted sign through the holes of a chain link fence, and it's like I'm a kid who's just heard the Mister Softee ice cream truck. Paint it on a garage, throw in an abandoned parking lot into the mix, then drape some telephone wires overhead, and well, that's like you just dipped it in chocolate. Yes, I have been focusing on my off-line writing, and yes, it appears I've skipped one too many square meals along the way whilst furiously revising and overcaffeinating. So if I just throw some numbers at you and yell, "Bon appetit!" just be patient with me. I'm finishing a novel. It's what happens.

9 comments:

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Like this "peeker" of a number and wondering what surrounded her.

Is the protagonist of the novel a number? Is her nickname a number? Do send out some teasers. A paragraph? A sentence? A word? a NUMBER?

Radge said...

What's the first thing you'll do upon its completion?

Therese Cox said...

GDP - Classic chain link fence chic! The rest of the sign says Letson Garage. 286 is the first part of the phone number.

As far as the novel goes, it's remarkably number-free. This blog is a blissfully independent beast from the rest of my writing. I might drop some teasers once I'm done, but I'm fairly cagey about my work while I'm working on it. But you have given me some great food for thought...

Therese Cox said...

Radge - Ah, good question. It's been through so many drafts, I feel I'm constantly calling wolf when I say it's done. But when it is, Earl Grey martinis at the Pegu Club sounds about right.

Jackie said...

T~ "Fairly cagey about my work..."

HA!! I LOVE the word cagey. That is all.

Radge said...

Ah, The Pegu Club. I haven't been there in an age, or ever. It does sound right though.

Therese Cox said...

"Ah, don't you know the poor girl had only just finished the novel when she stood up in her four-inch heels at the Pegu Club, declared, "Eighteen Earl Grey martinis. I think that's the record," and flat-out toppled over."

NYC did it to Dylan Thomas. It just might do it to me.

Therese Cox said...

Not a very cagey way to go, is it?

Julie said...

Surreptitious is good.

Not cagey at his age, no.