Monday, July 18, 2011

#167: This Is Today's "Number"

Gowanus, Brooklyn

These days, I relish any opportunity to catch a show at the Bell House in Brooklyn. The venue has a consistently good line-up of bands and I appreciate any place where I can easily stumble home if I don't feel like waiting for the F train. A Bell House night always hits the spot, whether I'm marveling at my glow-in-the-dark entry hand stamp, feeding the broken photo booth with useless dollar bills, or sipping Six Point Sweet Action from a plastic cup while I wonder why there aren't more ladies out to see Shellac or New Model Army.

But let's face it: my favorite reason these days for a trip to this Gowanus music venue is I get to see this "sign" painted on the building next door: BEWARE OF "DOG."

Typographical errors are one thing, but when someone goes out of their way to warn me of a guard animal so terrifying it can only be likened to a recognizable animal, I start picturing a slobber-jawed Cerberus and I walk past that door FAST. Or should I say "fast"? After all, I did meander long enough outside to snap this "picture."

If you enjoy this sort of thing, there's always more chortling to be had over at The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks. After all, someone's got to be the "WATCHDOG" for this type of behavior.

No comments: