Thursday, February 26, 2009

#57











#57, Pest, Budapest


A few years back, I was in the company of an Irish taxi driver who harbored a particular contempt for establishments with the word "Quality" in the title. "Quality Inn," he scoffed as we sailed past a four-star hotel in the docklands. He proceeded, for my entertainment, to mimic the two sides of an imaginary conversation. "What hotel ya stayin' at? Oh, I'm stayin' at a Quality Hotel. Well, ya wouldn't want to be staying at a bleedin' non-quality hotel now would ya?" I've no idea what's inside the Quality 57 here in Budapest but I'm sure it's of the utmost excellence, fineness, distinction, eminence, greatness, worth, and . . . what's that word I'm looking for? Starts with a . . . Q . . .

3 comments:

Jennifer W. John said...

I like to consider myself a "quality individual."

That term is only used by police officers describing perps.

Therese Cox said...

My guilty pleasure is reading the police blotter section of the Brooklyn Paper: perps, thugs, and hoodlums galore.

My favorite is when they make the crimes sound so... orchestrated: "A trio of hoodlums rob a bodega at knifepoint"... "A quartet of thugs ask for directions -- but they really just want his iPhone".

Julie said...

This appears to be tacked to one side of an aircon box.