Wednesday, January 7, 2009

#7













#7, Bruxelles


Turn a corner, any corner, in Brussels and you don't know what you'll run into next.  There's even a term for it. Brusselization, as the phenomenon is called, means that the architecture is anarchic, the modern and old mingle inharmoniously, and impromptu murals (many of them quite good) spring up everywhere on brick walls and boarded-up buildings.  There is an excellent comic strip museum where you can learn all about Hergé, the Belgian artist behind Tintin & break your neck gawking at the Art Nouveau architecture by Victor Horta, and then you walk out in the street and turn a corner and you see this.  Murals that emulate Hergé's playful ligne claire style are everywhere on the streets of Brussels.  I know the 007 is cheeky and accidental.  That's why I like it.

2 comments:

'Tsuki said...

My favourite number...

I really like very much your pictures : the idea, photographying all those street numbers all around the world is so original, the little stories you right about the story around the taking of the picture are so interesting and so pleasant to read (even for non English reader as me - sorry by the way for my awful grammar)...

You must already know all that, but I'm a huge fan, and I wanted you to know it...

Thank you so much for sharing your work...

Julie said...

Easy to see the TinTin lines in this.